Friday, May 28, 2010

I see grey...

My entire life I have looked at the world and seen black and white. Sinful nature vs. what is Christlike. The lines have always been drawn, clear and simple to me. I have surrounded myself with those that see very closely to the world that I see and it has allowed me to keep my mind clear and focused. My confidence in those I surround myself with is never wavering, as I know their intent is to always lead me to Christ.

Recently I have been challenged in my way of thinking and believing. So I decided to take a step back and question if the black and white I have seen my whole life is truly an accurate picture. Were the actions or choices that I believed un-Christ like really un-Christ like or just un-Christ like to me?


All of a sudden my life became grey! My head was spinning with confusion and I felt as though I had no boundaries. My security was gone and I felt alone. I was lost in a world that believes that if you do what feels right to you then it is ok, and that there is no absolute right or wrong.

So I went to the one source of truth that I knew God's Word. After much prayer I felt as though I was ready for what God was about to show me. Even if it meant that the black and white I saw was not God's black and white and that I have had it all wrong.

So there I was asking God "How do I know that when I make a choice if it is Christ like or a sin?" "How do I know that what I believe and stand up for is really something I should be standing up for as a Christian and it isn't just my opinion?"

I am no Bible Scholar, Pastor or even a great Christian example. Just a Christian Mom, Wife and Woman searching for God and the truth in a world that has no boundaries and turns everything grey. It wasn't long before God gave me the answers I needed... I was flooded with scripture and conviction.

The obvious was first shown to me and I was drawn to Galatians 5:19-21
19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Then it was reiterated in
Romans 13: 13-14 and those sins were obvious, but I asked God, "what about the other 8 million things we say, do, and the choices we make each and everyday?"

1 Corinthians 10: 23-24 and 1 Corinthians 10:31-33 ...nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. Colossians 3:17... whatever you do or say, do it as a representative in the Lord Jesus... Romans 14:21...do not do anything that will cause your brother to fall...


God revealed to me that I have to ask myself and pray the following when looking at my actions or choices. "Are my actions or choices glorifying God and drawing me closer to him"? "Are my actions or choices causing a problem or issue with a family, friend, or even a stranger"? "Am I stumbling block for someone else?"


I realized that this also applies to what I believe and think about what God says about certain actions or choices, not just my actions or choices.

It is so easy to get swept up in the world and get confused on where the lines are if we constantly trust our own judgement instead of turning to God, and Proverbs 28:26 reminds us of that. Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but only God can reveal true discernment Proverbs 21:2. We have to constantly pray that we will not fall into temptation Matthew 26:41 and not be drawn to what is evil Psalm 141:4 and 2 Timothy 2:22. Fellowship with believers who will bring you closer to Christ 2 Corinthians 6:14-15 not push you further away.

Through this journey, prayer and scripture I concluded that yes I must ask myself the questions above to ensure that I am setting the Christian example and following Christ. But also in prayer open up and allow God to convict me of that which I don't see.

Christ has set an amazing example and clearly demonstrates how we should behave. People should see Christ in you and in me, and in everything we say and do. It feels good to say that most of the grey is gone. I want to encourage anyone who is unsure of a choice they are about to make or wondering if their actions or choices are Christ like to ask yourself the questions above, open your bible, open your heart to God and he will show you the way(in black and white), with no grey!

1 comment: